Sunday, November 21, 2010

What's cooking in your life?

One of the oldest thing, as old as, human themselves is cooking. Ohh, probably, I made a wrong statement just now. Does any other animal cook like humans do, No!, that means cooking is as old as only the creativity of humans. Or I should say that creativity is just as old as cooking. You may ask what creativity is anyway. Creativity is act of creating something new, possibly from same resources. When someone consistently create something new, he/she become creative person. Creativity does not get limited to any particular field, it can be applied to any field of your life, including love!!!

Few years back, I was a bad cook. I still remember my failed experiments with cooking, a half cooked potatoes and overly crispy brinjals. Very recently, I have started loving cooking and yes started preparing some decent and tasty dishes. Cooking generally involves following as part of the process:
  1. Goal: You have some end dish in mind, a very vague idea about how it should taste and how it should look.
  2. Resources: You need to find ingradients around you. You also need to learn the chemistry among different ingredients.
  3. Cooking: The later part remains to mix the ingradients in definite order, at right temperature and at the right time. This is how a chicken tikka masala differs from chicken butter masala.
  4. Presentation: Finally the presentation matters. Presentation involves aesthetic, smell, temperature and ambiance.
Resources, Chemistry, Order, Temperature and Time really defines the formula of cooking. When I first started cooking, I used to have the right goal in mind but I was not really great in understanding the chemistry of different ingredients. I used to dump what ever I used to find at any time during the cooking, resulting into dishes where things were not mixed together in proper way. Now I am realizing the importance of all the four factors and how important are they in preparing a good dish.

So what's cooking in your life?




No comments: