Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My bad day is a sign....

Two years ago I got a friend who always remained with me, and we became almost inseprable. This is my Samsung Omnia smart phone. I learnt photography with my smart phone, with its 5 MP camera I learnt to see things in different way and capture them in images, taking notes became fun because a picture is worth of thousands words. My passion of photography is increased day by day and very recently I got a Canon DSLR EOS camera, one of the best camera in the market for photography. So my smart phone became really a friend who taught me how to see things in a way that I have done never before.

One day, it was 11:10 PM in the night, I was returning from the office party. I generally walk from my office to home and I was doing the same that day. At one of the lonely place, I was trying to call my wife, Janu. Suddenly I realized a, hmzzzzzzhmmzzz, sound on my right and somebody snatched the phone from my right hand. I was shocked and still did not realized what the hell is happening. Then I realized somebody has snatched my phone, my 2 year friend, and I will never going to get it back. I felt a sudden fear and shock, I was still not believing that I will be never able to see again my friend. As I was realizing, they took a left turn, they were two youngsters on a bike. I started shouting and chasing them. I chased them but with no results. It was lonely road at that time, a typical of Bangalore, however I was really not prepared for this, I have never seen this before. Suddenly I left chasing them and sudden of trauma and guilt got into me, how I can be robbed like this !!

I reached home at around 11:25, I had no other spared phone, nor I remember exactly mobile no of my wife and friends. My whole neibhourhood was sleeping, I had no idea what I should do, I was totally devastated. Suddenly a certain courage got into me, I felt that I would not let aways these people like this and I decided to go to police station at around 11:45PM. I reached police station at 12:00 AM, probably it is the first time I was engaging with police. As I entered into police station, there was one gentleman, a police receptionist probably, was was sitting there just in the reception.

The police officer was looking more like an receptionist that a police officer. I told my story to him, I was expecting some emotional response from his side, but alas his response was "why have you come to us?". For sometime, I thought I had come to some drama company and this guy sitting there is a part of some B Grade Indian Movie. I again checked all around and outside, yea it was really a police station. So I continued to tell him my story but with more stress. Finally the officer agreed to write my complain and told me to write an complaint application.

I started writing the application with the statement, "I was robbed ...", he quickly reacted and told me to change it to "mobile is lost". I argued a lot but he keep on insiting to write that mobile was lost. What an Irony of Indian Police? I left police station with more stressed and trauma.


That was bad day for me. However the event has raised a lot of questions in my mind. I told story to all of my friends and relatives and found out that I am not alone and these incidents are increasing day by day. The problem here is the divide, Employed vs Unemployed. Employment is giving Indian citizens power to purchase expensive gadgets, we all are buying more powerful gadgets and the gadgets are mostly small and mobile entities. We use them while we walk, eat and travel. On the other hand unemployed people are deprived of more purchasing power. So the best way for them is to snatch what they do not have.

This problem is going to be worst in future. Probably this is just the sign and we need to act fast. My bad day can change future in couple of ways:
1. Business:
- Gadget location tracker services.
- Emergency and Rapid Action Teams on your fingertips. Just like call a no to get help any time and any where.
- Intelligent devices, just like intelligent pet dogs who know their owners.
- Insurance cover.
- Backup solutions.
- Self Destructive devices.
2. Government
- Need to improve eduction and employment. (They have dauting task at hand. India have more young power than anywhere in the world.)
- As I have written in my last post, government need to run like an modern corporates and not as beurocrates.
- Rapid action forces that act rapidly.

I hope that this problem, if not reduced, does not get worst in future.

No comments: